Bug Triage

Posted on

The KDE 4.4.4 buglist is, if not shrinking, then at least being confirmed that the bugs existed — and some still do. There’s cases where it’s unclear if the bug is actually a bug: when Firefox, Internet Explorer and Konqueror and Rekonq all display the same behavior (behavior which seems to be at odds with a W3C spec) then I’m inclined to call it “not a bug”. My goal is to at least check out and comment on all the bugs in the list (column “changed” shows where I’m at) and in particular check if they’re still present in KDE 4.7.2, which is the version I’ve got on another machine. At some point I’ll have to install the 4.9 beta and do the check again.

Now Martin is calling for KWin triagers. I took a look at #238119, since it’s about the settings / control panel for effects. The bug description is pretty straightforward and good to follow:
  1. Start system settings (either from command line, $ systemsettings, or Menu and search for “Personal Settings”, at least on OpenSuSE 12.1).
  2. In the overview pane, there’s an icon labeled “Desktop Effects”, or search for “Effects”. Click on it.
  3. You get three tabs, “General”, “All Effects” and “Advanced”. Click the “All Effects” tab, then check the box for the first effect (“Invert”, in my case and in the bug reporter’s case as well).
  4. Switch to the “Advanced” tab by clicking on it, then switch back to “All Effects”. Notice that the checkmark you just put in next to “Invert” is gone!

That’s the description the original bug reporter gave, and those are easy-to-reproduce steps (I’ve just written them out in more detail here). So that bug could be confirmed, at the very least (for 4.7.2 that is).

One thing the OP didn’t write out is that, when you go back to the overview from the “Desktop Effects” page, you still get the prompt that something has changed, even though the one change you did (namely, checking the box next to “Invert”) has gone away again. OK, I can live with that: I did change something (only the change subsequently went away!).
Then I did some more tests on this particular configuration dialog and found some more weirdness. Those I’ve left in the bug report.
So there you have it: triaging bugs can be a five minute thing-to-do-while-the-espresso-machine-heats-up, and can require a really straightforward process of just following the instructions the bug reporter provided, and confirming that the reported behavior actually exists. (Of course, this was a simple bug: no crash, just weird behavior).